11 ways to make sure your website is 2020 READY!
1. ORGANIZATION AND STRUCTURE:
Good websites are well organized and follow a structure. They are not cluttered; they are clean and professional. They are also built around a target audience and market. Organization makes a website accessible and user-friendly.
By creating a thoughtful organizational structure in your website, site visitors will be able to better navigate and find the content in your site. Furthermore, a clear organization and structure allows Google to easily crawl and index your website.
2. SIMPLE NAVIGATION: Successful websites offer simple and user friendly navigation. Visitors must find everything they need quick and easy. If users have to wonder around the site trying to find what they need they will get frustrated and leave. Thus, it is important to include an intuitive navigation bar on your website.
Depending on the size of your website and the amount of content, you might consider implementing a mega menus, also known as uber menus. These type of menus go beyond the typical drop-down menus by allowing you to organize content in your navigation bar using columns.
3. ORIGINAL CONTENT: High quality websites focus on their audience’s needs, not on what they’re selling. Good and fresh content builds the visitor’s interest and invite them to get involved, invite their friends and come back for more.Furthermore, Google values content that is relevant and interesting for users, so creating original content is a great way of double dipping when it comes to making a good website. Some companies decide to do this by writing articles or blog posts about their products or events, while others create pages addressing frequently questions asked by customers(FAQ’s). Nonetheless,many websites already have original content, but it is just a matter of optimizing it and promoting it. If you would like to learn more about how to do so, take a look at our article “How to Easily Promote Existing Content in Your Website“
4. OUTSTANDING DESIGN: Beautiful & contemporary design makes a site memorable. A good website is built around a theme that matches its market and personality. However, outstanding design also encompasses a business’ brand and takes into account the user’s experience. Hence, it is highly important to design a website for both desktop and mobile devices. Lastly, good websites are designed for all audiences, from those with colorblind conditions to user’s with more serious disabilities.
5. SPEED: Users don’t want to wait for slow content to download; they need their information quickly and without delay. In today’s internet spaces, most users know that if they click on a website and it does not load as fast as they expect, they can go back and click on another one that will deliver quickly. Optimized graphics, video and audio give a website the necessary speed it needs to load fast.
On the other hand, when it comes to decreasing page speed time for mobile, Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) comes in handy. This is a project backed by Google to quickly load websites on mobile devices. All in all, page speed plays a major factor when it comes to staying ahead of your competitors. If you want to learn more about website’s speed, check out the following articles.
6. CLEAN AND VALIDATED CODE: Messy, outdated, deprecated, or wrong code can reduce a website’s search engine visibility. In fact, when marketers and web designers analyze your website to see what can be improved, they will most likely look at your website’s code first.
Furthermore, It can also generate browser-rendering issues that will slow down your website. Validated code will help for browser compatibility; following the standards is a way to ensure that the site will have a higher chance to be correctly display in different browsers. There are many HTML validators available online that can help you examine and improve your code. Lastly, clean code can save you time as well since it is easier to troubleshoot.
7. EASY TO READ: Most people don’t read websites; they scan them. Contrast and hierarchy help the site’s readability by making the content easy on the visitor’s eyes. Contrast between the text color and the website background is very important. Good websites will never use a black background color and dark blue text or white background color and yellow text.
Hierarchy helps people identify important sections on the website. High-quality websites use headings to break up the content in sections and provide small blocks of text to help their visitors read their content better.
8. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION: A great website with no visitors is an invisible website. SEO or search engine optimization will help bring an audience to the site. It is also important to consider that bringing relevant users plays a key role in the growth of a website. It is not just about establishing a generic audience, it is about bringing potential customers that will appreciate and pay for your services.
Efficient SEO takes time and effort to see results, but it will strengthen your site and deliver ROI (return on investment). This is usually accomplished by implementing strategies such as: creating advertising campaigns, optimizing and promoting quality content frequently, backlinking, conducting keyword research to determine what your audience is looking for and even examining and cleaning up code. Does this sound overwhelming? Check out more of our SEO resources below to better understand how it can help your website and business.
9. TRACKING: Metrics & site analysis give insights of what’s going on in a website. Good sites measure their traffic and marketing efficacy. Tracking also helps to target better a site’s customers, generate relevant ads, and create a higher converting website.
After all, one of the biggest advantages of today’s analytics tools is that it allows marketers to pinpoint where exactly your customers are completing an action or not. These actions can be completing an online purchase, filling out a form or subscribing to your newsletter. In order to have a good website, it is essential to frequently track what’s working and what’s not to make educated improvements. If you would like to learn more about tracking and web analytics, make sure to stop by our Orlando Internet Marketing page.
10. LINK BUILDING Links are an important factor in determining where a website will appear in search engine results. Good websites promote themselves in other high-quality websites like Google Local, Yahoo! Local, Yellow Pages, LinkedIn and more. Another way to promote and improve link building is to submit articles to websites related to your industry. Most online magazines or blogs allow a link back to your website from your article.
Think about link building as the word-to-mouth referral process of the cyber universe. If leading websites in your industry have links to your website, that is valuable traffic and prospective clients that are you are receiving purely through links outside of your site. A good example of how link building works is reflected in industry specific review pages (such as Homeadvisor.com for home repairs) which will guide visitors to the services provided in your website through links. Do you still have doubts about link building? Explore the articles below and multiply your website’s traffic today.
11. REVIEWS Reviews and testimonials are what builds the most trust in your customers. This makes the purchasing decision WAY easier to make, because others have already made that decision, and are happy they made it. So don’t skip out on the reviews!